Friday, August 6, 2010

Moving, Breakdowns, and Total Anarchy!

This past Tuesday I had a record breaking breakdown while moving apartments. I really hate to even go into details about how hellish the mishap was, but I will share a little. I hired a company to move me, on the phone the owner told me they were professionals......When I answered the door on Tuesday morning, I did not see two professionals, I saw 2 small High School boys. Two and half hours passed by and the only things the boys had moved was the Large furniture and washer and dryer from my old apartment to their moving truck. When the boys pulled up to my new apartment (20 feet away) I told them I'm not paying for more than 3 hours and to just unload everything out of their truck because this was RIDICULOUS!!!!! (keep in mind when the boys first arrived I gave them drinks and told them I wanted to move as much as I could in under two hours. I also said, only move the things that I couldn't fit into a car) I told them just to unload everything on the sidewalk to my new place, and they had 30 minutes to do so because I wasn't paying a penny over $288 (they are $96 an hour) . Wow, that got the boys attention, I don't think Speedy Gonzalas has moved that fast before!

While they were moving like the road runner, my friend "Sum" showed up from supervising rush practice. I explained to "Sum" what had been going on......she was speechless (also keep in mind, I had moving boxes, clothes, and other small things into my apartment since Sunday) I pay the boys, and they go on their way, I look at the sidewalk and grass to the front of my new apartment and it looked like the Clampett's were moving. My furniture was spread out all over!! I immediately called my mom complaining and crying. My landlord just so happened to be walking by, we explained her the situation. She told us to hold on and she would try to get us some help and also call the company. Then the worst thing happened.........THUNDER.

In the mean time my friend "Sum" and I start moving headboards, mattresses, desks, my oversized chair all by ourselves!!  Do you know that when I first started moving in to the new place I got all excited because I just moved into the building with ALL the boys!! I thought to myself, if I ever needed help this is going to be IDEAL..........boy was I wrong!! These boys would walk by seeing two smaller type girls struggle moving all of this heavy stuff, and say nothing......I will say one boy (a former football player here at Bama) walked by and did give us a tip on how we needed an appliance dolly to move the washer and dryer. Not, one guy offered to help, "Sum" and I asked 3 boys in an apartment to help us, and they said they were leaving to get something to eat. I promise, If I ever have a son and he did something like that, I would slap him silly! The only person to offer help, was a girl! This girl was walking out of her door, saw what was going on and offered to call a guy friend to help. (she would have helped, but she was late for rush practice)

My landlord in the meantime called the company, chewed them out, told the owner what his "professionals" had done.

I started calling every guy I know, most were working, but I had 2 boys that were at work or on their way to class and  they called their roommates to come help.

While waiting on the boys to arrive "Sum" and I were trying to move everything into the breezeway so it won't get soaked by the rain. I then was yelled at by some mean man for blocking the breezeway with my couch. I started apologizing and something just snapped in me. Yes, waterworks went into overdrive. I was crying, terribly hot and sweaty, dizzy from moving stuff up a flight of stairs that doubled my body weight, and then realizing I had not had one thing to eat since lunch the previous day.....I had been so busy packing and moving and organizing, I never took a break to eat ANYTHING!! I sat down on a step, put my sweaty face in my hands and tried to "regroup." Then something miraculous happened.

My landlord and "Sum" come walking back with a phone and said the company wants to talk to you. After telling the company what happened, they sent 2 MANAGERS to me to move the rest and reimburse me a hundred dollars. Two minutes later the boys roommates showed up and I told them they could go back home. I got back on the phone with my mom to tell her what was going on. A few minutes later, 2 MEN showed up and moved all my stuff in less than 30 minutes. Yes, the 2 men finished what 2 boys couldn't. I now understand "MAN" in "Managers." These 2 men were extremely apologetic, concerned about me, and straight up gentlemen. These men were strong and educated, total opposite of Tweedledee and Tweedledum  from earlier. "Bro" got me a sandwich, my blood sugar was slowly reaching back up.

By that night, "Bro" had gotten "Sum" and I dinner, we called a guy friend to come over and tell him the horrible mishap, he sympathized . He actually helped me unpack some stuff, and the Terrible, no good, very bad day was OVER!!!



I also have bruises ALL over my body! I am actually embarrassed by my legs, in no way shape or form am I exaggerating! I look like I have been beaten, but I guess that is what moving will do to you! My mom is coming in town tonight and then I have a Semi- DATE Saturday night!! with a guy that can play guitar and also loves the Talking Heads!! we have our official date set for next Wednesday!!

I promise to post pictures soon of the new place! I hope everyone has a careful and fun weekend! love y'all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment