Wednesday, May 26, 2010

My First Lesson in Need v. Want

     I babysat this morning from 8 until 10: 00 and then I decided I wanted to do a little browsing in a few stores until work this afternoon.  I was hoping to find a good deal on a new garbage can for the kitchen or a toilet brush holder for my bathroom that matched my new stuff or some string lights for my balcony. I was in the turn lane getting to the store when in the corner of my eye I saw a girl on the other side of the road who was desperately skinny with a small boy. The girl appeared to be the age of a teenager and she was holding a flap from a cardboard box with some writing on it.
    The streetlight turned green so I turned into the parking lot of my destination. I drove around and found a parking space. I was about to turn off the engine and get out when I just couldn't move. I reversed my car out of the parking space and drove towards the girl and small boy.  While I was stopped at the intersection where they were at I saw 4 cars pass them and ignore them. I then saw a POLICE OFFICER just whiz on by.  My light turned green and I had to drive past them to get to the other intersection they were standing at.
    I got my new Michael Kors wallet out of my purse and I only had $12 dollars in cash. I drove closer to them and on her cardboard was written "Hungry and Stranded" in a crayon. I rolled down my window and she came skipping toward my car with the little boy. I handed her the money and she said "Wow, thank you! thank you!"  Something just came over me and I was compelled to ask her how old she was. The girl replied to my question and said she was thirteen and the boy was six. Then someone had the NERVE to honk their horn at me, that was in the vehicle behind me. I understand I was in a turn lane and you can go right on red, but SERIOUSLY??? I told her to walk down the hill in a restaurant's parking lot and I would circle around to help her more.  I had to circle around and come back to her, as I was driving back around I could see her and the boy standing. I pulled my car near them and rolled down my window to talk to her. I learned that the vehicle the kids were standing near had their mother in the car, laying down in the back seat. The license plate had a West Virginia license plate. I put my car in park, turned the engine off and got out of my car and locked it. I had my cell phone in my hand as well as my keys. I walked closer to this beat up 1980's looking blue camry. 
    I looked in the back seat and sure enough there was a young woman lying there with, I promise, her left sleeve rolled up. I was just in SHOCK! The girl explained to me they were trying to get to Florida where a mothers friend  lives. (from what I understand the kids were staying the summer in Florida)  The kids explained their mother spent the night in a hotel right across from the restaurant and bank. The kids slept in the car. The teenager told me she was okay but the mother told them she didn't have anymore money for gas or food. I asked the kids if they could remember the last time they ate.......They didn't remember. I almost lost it, ya'll!
    The teenager told me the mother came back into the car when the sun was rising. I figured the time was probably about 6:30 or so. I knew their mother had probably put herself up for prostitution for the heroin. I didn't know what to do, I almost felt as lost as the kids did. I know how the law works and I know exactly what these kids are in for, and it's not pretty. I asked the teenager her name and the small boy. I asked if they had ever been taken away from their mom before or had to live with anybody else and if they have any relatives they knew of that they could trust. The girl didn't seem to really know of anyone, she just knew she had a different father than the boy did. The teenager told me they had lived with a great aunt for a couple of years but she passed away just a few months ago.  The state of West Virginia then awarded the mother custody of the kids again just a few weeks ago. The teenager said this was their first overnight stop, she said her mother told them she wanted to see if an old friend still lived here, so they stopped. 
    I knew if I contacted the police these kids would would probably spend the night in a police station, sent to a nearby beacon house, watch their mother be arrested, and the list goes on. I knew if I didn't call the police then the mom could potentially kill them in a car accident if she still had the drugs in her system. I took control of the situation and took the kids into Logan's Roadhouse, told them to order whatever they wanted. I kept asking questions to see if I could get some hard facts and realized these kids have never really been kept up and totally ignored.
     We walked back to their car and the mom was STILL out of it, but moving. I told the kids I had to make a phone call to work but instead I called the police and told them the story. I came back out of my car and talked to them a little more. A few minutes passed and I saw three police cars pulling up and that's when I told them I was only looking out for their safety but I had to call the police. 
    The kids were in shock and the police got out of their vehicle and I introduced myself to one officer while the others walked towards the kids and the vehicle. The police officer thanked me and I told them what the kids told me. I heard one officer ask the obvious question, if I had harmed them in any way and the kids replied no, and the boy chimed in and said "she took us there (he pointed) and we ate, A LOT" I then put in my two cents to the police officer and told him how a patrol car passed them on the road and didn't even brake! of course he said he could have been going to a more important call. BULLSH*T!
    I got into my car and left. I came home and started typing this.
    I in no way wrote this to make myself look better or appear as a Saint because I in no way am. I actually feel guilty. I feel guilty that I grew up with two loving parents in a home where I was loved unconditionally every single moment. I was taken care of and provided for in every aspect. I also feel anger, anger towards people that bring children in this world because of carelessness, because in a lot of those circumstances the parents becomes careless of them. Everyday we see people in need and we do NOTHING about it. Most people only give when there has been a catastrophic event and then it is made through a hotline. Here is a challenge for Americans, why wait for something just plain horrible to happen in another country when you can help people in your own, that are in just as much need! Events like this happen EVERYDAY and those kids had to watch as capable people just drove past. I know what I did today was potentially dangerous and don't think I do this all the time because I don't. 
    I now have no desire to go shopping to buy things I originally had on my list that I thought I needed. Today, I was really taught the lesson of need v. want at the age of 26 and a lot of me feels ashamed of that. I think the universe must have some plans for me yet.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment