Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Hippie at Heart, Style by Genes

    I am my father's daughter. My dad jokes that the day they brought me home from the hospital he wanted to play some soothing tunes. He played Beethoven but after 26 years of being his daughter he has said playing Jimi Hendrix would have been more appropriate.
    I have always had a love for music, but never had understood it enough to be a goo-Ru. I am tone deaf so playing instruments and singing are totally out of the question, it doesn't stop me from singing or anything.....maybe it should however. I am not going to lie and tell you I have only listened to the greats, because I would like to remind you that I was about 13 years old when Backstreet boys and N'Sync were good and popular. A little of my wonderful music taste started about the middle and towards the end of middle school, I was starting to hang out with "Bro" or 'BLS' more because of his near departure to college.  I was introduced to the notorious Dave Matthews Band. I remember the C.D. Under the Table and Dreaming.
    You know how I have stated that I can hear certain songs and flash back to a memory that involved that song......Here is a memory for you!

Imagine a hot and humid game day in Oxford, MS. Imagine being 13 years old, wearing red and blue cheering on Ole Miss at "the vaught" sweating like a whore in church.  I can remember looking at the student section and wishing dearly I was already 18 and a student . I can ever so vividly remember after the game walking in the dark under a gorgeous blanket of stars and heading back with my parents to our hotel room. On the way my Dad played "Satellite" by D.M.B. while we were sitting in traffic and waiting in a drive-thru for a quick dinner. I was sitting in the back seat, with cool air blowing on my face and thinking to myself, I can't wait to get to college and have a boyfriend  and be grown up (mind you, at 13 my mother still clipped bows in my hair). I thought satellite was just an appropriate song for that moment of life, it almost felt like the earth stood still. This particular song is just absolutely breath-taking, from that moment on, I knew D.M.B. would always hold a special place in my ever so small, role of life.  It just so happened this very night has gone down in history.
The date just happened to be August 31, 1997........ring any bell? When we arrived at our hotel room, my mother went straight to the bathroom to take a shower, my dad was unloading the car, I plopped down on a bed with my food and turned the television on. NBC just happened to be the channel that was on, when I turned it on. I watched a short of Saturday Night Live, then the program turned to a special news report......I thought initially it was part of the show. Then an anchor was talking about a wreck and that Princess Diana was in the car. I think we all know the rest, but it's funny how you remember things like that. I can't help think, maybe the earth did stand still for a second that night.......I know for her family, it certainly did.
    Anyway, here is my all time favorite song by the band, it honestly is breath-taking. I cannot say enough good things about them, they are a true talent! The way I feel about this band and what I think of their creativity and mind blowing performances cannot even be put into words.......its something you have to experience on your own, or else you just won't appreciate it. It's like a painting, someone can tell you the meaning and how great it is, but it's ultimately up to you, to like or dislike and truly adore.

No comments:

Post a Comment